Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Chapter 2

During the next couple of days the two of us had opportunities to talk. This was the first time I had even thought of another man since my husband and he had me feeling like a schoolgirl with her first crush. On the third day from when Jon started painting, I had been going through and boxing up my husband's things and carting them to the garage. Standing there staring at the boxes, an overwhelming sadness came over me. A tear slipped down my cheek, followed by another. Pretty soon I was crying, my arm crossed over my chest. I bent my head, resting my forehead in my other hand.

That's how Jon found me, standing there, tears wetting my face. Lost in my sorrow, I didn't hear him walk up. He touched my shoulder and I jumped. "Oh. Jon. I didn't hear you come up," wiping tears with my hands.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you," Jon said softly. "I saw you bringing in the boxes and came to see if you needed help."

I had my back to him, and to keep him from seeing my tears, I bent to pick up a box and stack it on top of another and said, "Thanks, but I'm OK." Something in my voice must not have sounded convincing, because Jon leaned over, and with a hand on my elbow, pulled me up to face him. I kept my face down, staring at the floor. Jon put a hand under my chin and lifted my face. I finally looked up at him. I closed my eyes for a moment, enjoying the feel of his hand on my face. It felt good to feel a man's touch again. I hadn't even thought of another man...until Jon. He made me feel things again.

No comments:

Post a Comment